Toggle menu

Alcohol and entertainment licences

Premises and personal alcohol licences issued under the Licensing Act 2003

Wine glass icon

For the purposes of the Licensing Act 2003, the following are licensable activities:

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol by, or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment

You can view current applications open for consultation on our public register.

Personal Alcohol Licences

A personal licence authorises you to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises that has a valid premises licence. Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.


If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales. You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

Exempt entertainment

The Government has amended the law to exempt certain types of regulated entertainment from the requirement for a licence.

Planning a community event

If you wish to hold a special community event, there are a number of things you will need to consider depending on the nature and size of your event. For example, you may need permission to close local streets in your village for a carnival or you may need to apply for licences to carry out certain activities. You can obtain most of this information by clicking on the website links on this page.

Door supervisors - information

Any person working as a Door Supervisor must be registered with the Security Industry Authority (SIA). Further details about the SIA are included on this webpage.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email