Toggle menu

Apply for a new premises licence

If you intend to supply alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment at your business you will need a premises licence

File icon


A premises licence application can be made by an individual, several individuals, a company or organisation or other prescribed persons such as individuals acting as representatives for a company or individual. A 'premises' means any place and can include a defined area, a building, part of building, a vessel, vehicle or temporary structure.

The application for a premises licence is usually made by the owner of the business or the committee or organisation responsible for the building. If the premises are leased, the freeholder has a right to inform the Licensing Authority of their interest in the premises and register to be notified of any applications and other matters that may affect the licence.

In respect of a community premises it may be beneficial for the licence to be held by the hall management committee rather than a named individual. This obviates the problem of having to transfer the licence every time the licence holder changes, steps down from the committee, moves away etc.

Premises licences which authorise the sale of alcohol also require a nominated Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) who must hold a personal licence.


To apply for a premises licence you will need to:

Apply now
on the GOV.UK website

If you don't want to apply online, you can download an application form (PDF) [453KB]  to complete, and send it back to us.

You must send a copy of your application together with the supporting documents to all the responsible authorities. You will need to advertise your application. Full details can be found in the information for applicants (PDF) [371KB] document.

You must also send a copy of your application to the police and the Home Office who have the right to object if they believe the transfer will undermine the crime prevention objective. If the police or Home Office lodge an objection, the application will be determined at a hearing.

Supporting documents

  • A plan of the premises (details of requirements can be found in the information for applicants)
  • In respect of a licence to sell alcohol, the form of consent for the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) (PDF) [71KB]
  • If you are an individual applicant or a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership you must include copies of relevant documents to demonstrate your right to work in the UK

Contact us

If you have any queries, or require help with your application, please contact the Licensing Team.

  • email:
  • phone: 01237 428700
  • post: Licensing Team, Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford EX39 2QG

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email