Toggle menu

Transfer a premises licence

Change Icon


A premises licence may be transferred to another individual or organisation at any time. A transfer of the licence changes the identity of the licence holder but does not alter the licence in any other way. The Act makes provision for a transfer to come into immediate effect on application to enable the premises to continue trading without interruption. The existing licence holder must give their written consent to the transfer.


To apply to transfer a licence, you will need to:

  • ask the existing license holder to complete a consent form
  • complete the application form
  • provide supporting documents
  • pay the appropriate application fee

Apply now
on the GOV.UK website

If you don't want to apply online, you can download an application form (PDF) [280KB] or download a consent form (PDF) [69KB]  to complete, and send back to us.

You must also send a copy of your application to the police and the Home Office who have the right to object if they believe the transfer will undermine the crime prevention objective. If the police or Home Office lodge an objection, the application will be determined at a hearing.

If the designated premises supervisor is changing at the same time as the transfer of the licence you will also need to apply to vary the DPS.

Supporting documents

  • The original premises licence (paper copy not the laminated summary)
  • If you are an individual applicant or a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership you must include copies of relevant documents to demonstrate your right to work in the UK (see guidance in related download section)

Contact us

If you have any queries, or require help with your application, please contact the Licensing Team.

  • email:
  • phone: 01237 428700
  • post: Licensing Team, Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford EX39 2QG

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email