Personal Alcohol Licences
A personal licence authorises you to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises that has a valid premises licence. Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.
To apply for a new personal licence you must:
- provide a completed application form.
- provide a completed disclosure of convictions and declaration form.
- possess an accredited personal licence qualification. You must submit your original certificate with your application.
- provide a basic criminal record disclosure or a police subject access check (no more than 1 month old). See "links" section.
- provide two clear full-faced photographs of yourself. One of which must be endorsed as a true likeness of yourself by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.
- provide evidence of your right to work in the UK. See the guidance notes on the application form.
- pay the appropriate fee. See Fees & Charges
If you have a conviction for a relevant offence, the licensing authority is required to notify the police. The police have the right to object to your application. If an objection is received from the police, the licensing authority will hold a hearing to determine the application.
Renewing your licence
Following the implementation of the Deregulation Act 2015, the requirement to renew personal licences was abolished with effect from 1 April 2015.
Whilst licences have previously been issued with expiry dates, these are now irrelevant. Personal licences now last indefinitely and there is no need to renew a personal licence unless you change your name and/or address.
If you have changed your name or address and require an updated licence, or if you have a lost or stolen licence and need a copy, please apply to the council using the Personal Licence Update Form in the "downloads" with the accompanying fee (see Fees & Charges)
Additionally, there is a fee if you want to gain a licence without an expiry date shown on it, or if you wish to update your photograph. Any new photograph will need to satisfy the requirements contained in the guidance notes.
Contact Details for Licensing Team
Telephone: 01237 428700