Toggle menu

Grants and Loans

Hand holding pound sign icon

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are disabled and want to live safely in your home, we may be able to provide a grant for adaptations.  Typical works can include a stair-lift, replacing a bath with a level access shower, widening doorways, installing a ramp.

Firstly you will need to contact Care Direct on telephone number 0345 1551 007 or email and they will assess your needs by sending an Occupational Therapist to visit you in your home who may recommend certain adaptations that could benefit you.  The recommendation (Statement of Need) will be sent to us, we will then make contact with you.

If you are a social housing tenant your landlord may be able to assist with the adaptation of your home. We  advise to contact them first to see what help they can offer.

An assessment of your financial situation will be made by the Council. This means test will determine whether you are required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of the works.

Please refer to our Housing Assistance Policy for information about the grants we offer, maximum amounts of funding available and eligibility.

NB: The Disabled Facilities Grants budget is a mandatory grant, and the funding provided is limited.  Depending on the number of referrals we receive you may by placed on a waiting list.  If this situation occurs, you will be notified in writing, by the Council indicating the likely waiting period.

Home Repairs Assistance

If your home is in need of essential repairs and you can't afford to get it done, you can apply for a Home Repairs Assistance loan.  Low interest loans to owner-occupiers are administered on behalf of the Council by Lendology CIC (opens in new tab), a not-for-profit company (previously known as Wessex Resolutions CIC).

The maximum amount of loan available is currently £15,000 (subject to affordability).

You must have been resident at your property for 3 or more years, or to have been resident in the Torridge area for at least 10 years out of the last 15 years.

Lendology CIC Home Improvement Loan (opens in new tab)

For further information, or to apply, please contact the Housing Renewal Team on: (01237) 428700 or e-mail:

Empty Homes Assistance

If you have an empty property and you want to turn it back into a home, there is assistance available in the form of an empty property loan.  This is designed to fund renovations and repairs to your property and then rent, sell or live in the home once the project is complete.  For more information see Lendology empty property loans (opens in new tab)

All grants detailed above are administered in accordance with our Housing Assistance Policy which can be found at: Housing Strategy and Policy documents

Financial assistance with a deposit and rent in advance

Homeless or threatened with homelessness

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and working with the Housing Options Team, you may be offered financial assistance with a deposit and/or rent in advance for a suitable property. The help you can receive will depend on your circumstances and may be an interest free loan or a grant.

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and not already receiving help from the Council please visit Homeless or threatened with homelessness? for more information on how the Council can help you.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are not homeless or under the threat of homelessness, but require financial assistance with a deposit and/or rent in advance you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are in receipt of housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

These payments are discretionary, so there is no guarantee that your application will be successful.

For more information on Discretionary Housing Payments please visit Discretionary Payment Scheme.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email