Grants and Loans

Disabled Facilities Grant, Emergency Repairs Grant, Home Repairs Assistance, Empty Homes Assistance, Deposit/Rent in Advance Loan

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are disabled and want to live safely in your home, we may be able to provide a grant for adaptations.  Typical works can include a stair-lift, replacing a bath with a level access shower, widening doorways, installing a ramp.

Firstly you will need to contact Care Direct on telephone number 0345 1551 007 or email csc.caredirect@devon.gov.uk and they will assess your needs by sending an Occupational Therapist to visit you in your home who may recommend certain adaptations that could benefit you.  The recommendation (Statement of Need) will be sent to us, we will then make contact with you.

If you are a social housing tenant your landlord may be able to assist with the adaptation of your home. We  advise to contact them first to see what help they can offer.

An assessment of your financial situation will be made by the Council. This means test will determine whether you are required to make a financial contribution towards the cost of the works.

The maximum amount of grant available is £30,000

NB: The Disabled Facilities Grants budget is a mandatory grant, and the funding provided is limited.  Depending on the number of referrals we receive you may by placed on a waiting list.  If this situation occurs, you will be notified in writing, by the Council indicating the likely waiting period.

Emergency Repairs Grant

This grant is aimed at helping homeowner-occupiers to carry out minor emergency repairs to their homes such as a stair lift repair or a boiler repair.

The maximum amount of grant available is £500.00

To qualify, you must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits;

  • Pension Credit (guaranteed)
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Working and or Child Tax Credit (which must include the Disability Element)

For further information, or to apply, please contact the Housing Renewal Team on: (01237) 428700 or e-mail: housing.renewal@torridge.gov.uk

Home Repairs Assistance

If your home is in need of essential repairs and you can't afford to get it done, you can apply for a Home Repairs Assistance loan.  Low interest loans to owner-occupiers are administered on behalf of the Council by Wessex Resolutions CIC, a not-for-profit company.

The maximum amount of loan available is currently £15,000 (subject to affordability).

You must have been resident at your property for 3 or more years, or to have been resident in the Torridge area for at least 10 years out of the last 15 years.

Wessex Home Improvement Loan

For further information, or to apply, please contact the Housing Renewal Team on: (01237) 428700 or e-mail: housing.renewal@torridge.gov.uk

Empty Homes Assistance

Torridge District Council is committed to bringing long-term empty homes back into use.  Offering support, advice and financial assistance to enable and assist owners to turn empty properties back into residential accommodation for letting, whilst complying to the current Decent Homes Standard in line with current Government regulations.

  • Do you own an empty property in good repair but don't know whether to sell or rent?
  • Are you a property developer looking for opportunities to turn empty properties into profit?
  • Have you recently inherited a property that is standing empty but are unsure of the next steps to filling it?
  • Are you aware of a property left standing empty and want something done?

  Support and advice is available .

pdf icon TDC Empty Homes Advice and Loans Information [57kb]

For further information, or to apply, please contact the Housing Renewal Team on: (01237) 428700 or email: housing.renewal@torridge.gov.uk

Empty Homes Toolkit for Parish and Town Councils

An innovative approach to the problem of empty homes was launched on 22nd January 2014.  It uses the local knowledge and presence on the ground of Town and Parish Councils in Torridge.

This Toolkit has been produced with a checklist that guides councils through a six step process which will enable them to advise local owners of how to return their empty properties back into use and to provide Torridge Council information about risks, costs and benefits of further action.

It is hoped that this approach will be of benefit to the District Council, the Town & Parish councils and landowners with a property currently standing empty.

pdf icon TDC Empty Homes Toolkit for Parish and Town Councils [5Mb]

Loans for deposit / rent in advance

Torridge District Council may be able to offer assistance with an interest-free loan for deposit and rent in advance if you are eligible and homeless (or going to be homeless in the near future).  However, these loans are not compulsory and TDC will have the final say whether to offer you a loan or not.  You will need to discuss this with a Housing Options Officer who will be able advise you if you are eligible for a loan depending on your circumstances, household make-up and income.  To make an appointment telephone 01237 428700 or email housing.options@torridge.gov.uk.