Check if your property is at risk of flooding. You should take early preventative measures to protect your home.
Current flood risk for Devon
This data is for the whole of Devon. You can click on any flood warnings displayed view the specific locations affected on GOV.UK.
- Check your flood risk- you can access current flood warnings, information on river and sea levels, 5 day flood risk and long term area flood maps for your area.
- Sign up for free flood warnings - phone Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24 hour service) or got to via Floodline Warnings Direct.
- Prepare a personal flood plan - be prepared.
- Flood proofing products and services - there are a number of proofing methods you could consider such as flood gates, non-return valves on drainage or air brick covers.
More advice on preparing for flooding is available on GOV.UK.
In the event of a flood - who to contact
If it is an emergency and there is danger to life as a result of flooding call 999.
To report flooding of the highway and blocked drains contact Devon County Council's Highways Customer Service Centre on 0345 155 1004 or visit their Flooding and Drainage pages. Office hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturdays, 9am to 1pm. For emergencies outside of these hours call 01392 383329.
To report flooding from sewers and water pipes contact South West Water on 0844 346 2020 (24 hours service).
For advice and enquiries about flood warnings contact the Environment Agency's Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24 hours service) or visit their website.
For general queries about main river or flooding from the sea contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 or 0345 988 1188 or visit the Environment Agency website.
Torridge District Council does not have a duty to provide sandbags and we are unable to respond to requests for sandbags and assistance in the event of a flooding episode - if you are concerned about flooding, you should make your own arrangements as soon as you hear that flooding is possible.
In preparation for a flood episode, we do hold a stock of Aqua-sacs which can be purchased during office hours from the TDC office at Riverbank House
Sandbags can be obtained from most Builders Merchants, DIY stores or garden centres. If your house is under threat and you are unable to obtain any sandbags, you may need to improvise. Bin liners or carrier bags with soil dug from your garden can help, or soil wrapped in a bath towel laid across the bottom of doors.
Do not leave it until the last minute; be prepared and keep a supply on hand if you live in a high flood risk area.
After the flood - stay safe
If your home is affected by flooding, it may have been contaminated with sewage, animal waste and other contaminants. Take precautions in cleaning up and drying out your property. More information can be found here
- Flood guidance for camping and caravan sites https://www.gov.uk/guidance/camping-and-caravan-sites-minimise-your-flood-risk
- Flood plan guidance for communities and groups https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flood-plan-guidance-for-communities-and-groups
- Flooding advice for farmers and land managers https://www.gov.uk/guidance/flooding-advice-for-farmers-and-land-managers
- BBC Radio Devon 103.4FM BBC Devon
- Met Office Severe Weather Warnings
- Insurance advice