Finding a home


The Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 comes into effect on 3 April 2018 and introduces new duties and responsibilities on local authorities.

Our housing webpages are currently under construction.

If you would like further information about the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017, or you are homeless or threatened with homelessness please contact Housing Options.

Social rented housing

Devon Home Choice is a partnership of all 10 Devon local authorities, and over 30 housing associations who are working together to make the process of finding a home simple and transparent for all applicants across Devon.

All available social and housing association homes are advertised through Devon Home Choice.

Go to the Devon Home Choice website where you can access the following;

  • How it works
  • Register
  • Search and bid for homes
  • Update or renew your application
  • Download DHC App
  • Set up property alerts
  • Contacts for councils

Private rented housing

There are far more people seeking social housing in Devon than there are homes available.  Most people will need to rely on renting from a private landlord to resolve their housing needs.  Make sure you can afford the rent when looking for private rented accommodation and find out whether you are eligible for Housing Benefit.

You can look for private rented accommodation in;

  • newspapers
  • shop windows
  • local letting agents
  • the Internet

Remember, always get a tenancy agreement and read it carefully before you sign it, or hand any money over.  It is important you read and sign the inventory at the start of the tenancy because you may be charged for anything which the landlord states is missing or damaged at the end of the tenancy.

Property Standards

There are minimum standards that a property should meet.  pdf icon Devon minimum property standards [18kb]

pdf icon TDC A free guide to Renting Private Property Important Checklists [700kb]

This booklet contains safety checklists for you to use when looking for rented accommodation.  You can request printed copies of this booklet by contacting the Housing Options team by telephone or email.  You should consider these when viewing properties.  You can report a property in disrepair, click here for details.


Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes have been set up to help protect tenants and their deposits.  All deposits taken for an assured shorthold tenancy must be protected by a Government authorised scheme.  The schemes can also help to resolve disputes about deposits between tenants and landlords. For more information visit GOV.UK Deposit protection schemes.

Help with deposit/rent in advance

Torridge District Council may be able to offer assistance with an interest-free loan for deposit and rent in advance if you are eligible and homeless (or going to be homeless in the near future).  However, these loans are not compulsory and TDC will have the final say whether to offer you a loan or not.  You will need to discuss this with a Housing Options Officer who will be able advise you if you are eligible for a loan depending on your circumstances, household make-up and income.  To make an appointment telephone 01237 428700 or email housing.options@torridge.gov.uk.

Help with your rent

You could be entitled to housing benefit if you are in receipt of:

  • Income support
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Working, but on a low income

There are certain restrictions on housing benefit for people under the age of 35.  Housing Benefit does not cover any bills, such as water rates.

To find out if you might entitled or for more information click here.

Shared ownership housing

Help to Buy South West is here!  To make home ownership dreams possible for more in South West.

Those living in the South West and wanting to get a foot on the affordable housing ladder or looking for affordable rented property are encouraged to register with Help to Buy South West.  The South West region covers Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset; providing the gateway to low cost home ownership for seven counties.

You can call on 0300 100 0021.  Lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 5pm on Friday.
Or visit the website Help to Buy South West