Toggle menu

House to House Collections

Under the House to House Collections Act 1939 promoters of charitable collections which take place from door to door in the Torridge area must obtain a house to house collection licence from the council.


House to House collections involve collectors going from door to door to collect money or other goods. They also include collections where bags are posted through the door to be filled with clothes and other goods, for collection a few days later.

Licences may be requested for a duration of up to 12 months, although we prefer that shorter, more specific time periods are applied for. We operate a diary booking system for collections and the Council has a policy of allowing only one collection within the same town on the same day.

Holders of a National Exemption Order and those collecting direct debit pledges only do not require a licence, but we request that you send us the dates of your collection using the contact details below.

Carrying Out Collections

You must comply with the  House to House Collection regulations (PDF) [25KB]

Once a licence has been issued, you will need to apply to The Stationery Office for copies of the certificate of authority and badges, which you will need to supply to all your collectors. A form will be provided with your licence.

Any organisation carrying out a house-to-house collection must abide by the code of fundraising practice and its associated rule book published by the Institute of Fundraising (IoF).

Within one month of the date of any collection the applicant must submit to the Council a financial return, a return form will be provided with the licence.


There is no fee payable for a house to house collection licence, but you must give us at least 28 days' notice of any collection.

We recommend that you contact us before submitting an application to check that the requested date(s) are available.

Apply now
on Customer Self Service

If you don't want to apply online, you can download an application form (PDF) [131KB]  to complete, and send it back to us.

Refused Applications

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office if your application is refused.  Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Customer Complaint

If you have a complaint about a house to house collection, please try to resolve this direct with the collecting organisation in the first instance.  If you are unable to resolve the situation, please put your complaint in writing to the Licensing Team.

Contact Details for Licensing Team


Telephone: 01237 428700

Post: Licensing Team, Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford, EX39 2QG

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email