Toggle menu

Food hygiene training

Hands wash icon

It is a legal requirement for food business operators to ensure that all food handlers are supervised, instructed and/or trained in food hygiene and safety matters in line with their work activity. Training can be provided on-the-job and by completing a recognised certificated course.

What training is suitable for you?

For anyone without prior food safety knowledge whose role involves handling low-risk and wrapped food including, front-of-house staff and kitchen porters, would find the basic Level 1 food hygiene and safety training suitable as it provides an understanding of the principles of food hygiene and safety.

Anyone involved in activities including the preparation, cooking, and handling of open high-risk foods should complete intermediate training in food hygiene and safety, often referred to as Level 2.

Business owners, managers, and supervisors responsible for overseeing food handlers, putting in place, implementing and maintaining food safety management systems and records to ensure the business and food handlers are legally compliant with food hygiene and safety regulations and good practice should complete Level 3(for supervisors).      

If your business is involved in the preparation, cooking, processing, and packing of food as a manufacturer, then the Level 2 for manufacturing will be suitable as it focuses on awareness and risks associated in a manufacturing environment.  

If you operate an approved business it is a legal requirement for the person responsible for the implementation and management of  hazard analysis, critical control point procedures (HACCP) and monitoring to have completed training in HACCP. There are HACCP based courses for those who work in food manufacture.

People learn in different ways, so if you prefer face-to-face training in a classroom based environment then refer to our list of registered food safety trainers.  Training Providers (PDF) [15KB]  

If you prefer an online training experience, then look for a national body that can provide accredited food hygiene and safety training. You can search for registered providers on the following websites.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
The Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH)

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email