Toggle menu

Reduce your Council Tax

Single Persons Discount

If you live on your own, or if all the other people in your household are under 18, you can get 25% off your Council Tax bill. It's called a 'Single Persons Discount'.

Single person's discount only applies to your main home, where you live. You can't get it for a second home.

Some people aren't counted for Council Tax.

If you live with someone who isn't counted, it may mean that you can get a Single Person Discount on your bill.

These people aren't counted for Council Tax:

  • Non-British partners or other dependants of foreign students who are not allowed to work or claim benefits.
  • Those under 20 who are still at school or have just left school.
  • Someone for whom Child Benefit is still being paid.
  • Foreign Language Assistants.
  • Long-stay hospital patients are not counted for Council Tax where they normally live.
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants.
  • Members of visiting forces and their dependants.
  • People with diplomatic immunity and privileges.


Complete our online form to apply for Single Occupier Discount.

Start now (opens in new tab)

After you've applied for the discount

You must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

We periodically check accounts that have been granted discounts and exemptions. If we contact you to review your discount and we don't hear back from you, we will cancel it.

If your circumstances change, you must tell us within 21 days. Failure to do so may result in you being issued with a £70 penalty.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email