Toggle menu

Freeman on the land

Triangle with exclamation mark icon

The Freeman on the Land movement and similar groups, commonly believe that they are bound only by statute laws that they consent to.

Being a 'freeman' does not exempt any person from paying Council Tax. Liability and payment of Council Tax is not optional. The obligation to pay Council Tax is not dependent on your consent. If you are liable to pay Council Tax, you must make your payments.

The liability to pay Council Tax falls under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and later regulations. This is a statute created by a democratically elected Parliament of the United Kingdom which has received the assent of the Crown.

Liability to pay Council Tax is set by The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992. This gives local authorities the right to demand Council Tax which is used to fund essential local services.

Your liability for council tax is not dependent on, and does not require, your consent or the existence of a contractual relationship with the council. Any such assertion to the contrary is incorrect and there is no legal basis upon which to make this argument.

Very occasionally we get people who are convinced that using an archaic law means they don't have to pay council tax and there are many misleading articles and templates on the internet regarding the legality of council tax. Anyone drawing on these for advice should exercise caution and seek proper legal advice, from a Solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau or Legal Advice Centre, before using them as a defence against council tax liability based on contract, consent and common law.

While we do our best to answer all relevant enquiries about council tax, we reserve the right to refuse to respond to lengthy spurious enquiries, letters and notices served on the Chief Executive and the Council Tax Department that focus on hypothetical arguments that have no basis in statute as these impact the use of our time and resources at the expense of other taxpayers.

Further information relating to Council Tax can be found on GOV.UK.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email