Toggle menu

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) is a benefit to help people who are on a low income or claiming certain benefits to pay their Council Tax bill.

Cheque icon

Each local council is responsible for operating their own Council Tax Support scheme so the amounts of support given across the country may vary.

The amount of Council Tax Support you will get depends on many factors, including:

  • which benefits you receive
  • your age
  • your income
  • your savings
  • who you live with
  • how much Council Tax you pay

You may get more Council Tax Support if you receive a disability or carers benefit.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit Part of Pension Credit you may even get your Council Tax paid in full. If you don't get Guarantee Credit but you have a low income and less than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help.

Pensioners still need to pay Council Tax, but may get a discount if they live alone, or depending on their situation be entitled to Council Tax Support.

You can claim Council Tax Support regardless of whether you own your own home or rent, or whether you're working or unemployed.

Torridge District Council's Council Tax Support Scheme

Local Council Tax Support Scheme for Working Age People

The Council Tax Support Scheme for Torridge is based on the previous Council Tax Benefit Scheme with five changes and associated principles detailed below:

1. Everyone should pay something

All claimants are required to pay a contribution to their council tax - This is achieved by reducing everyone's Council Tax liability to 75% before any council tax support is awarded.

2. Those living in larger properties should not receive greater levels of support than those occupying smaller properties

Council Tax Support will be restricted to a Band D council tax liability (before the 75% liability restriction is applied). This means that households in higher banded properties would have their support reduced to the council tax liability level as if they occupied a band D property.

3. Those with relatively high savings or capital should pay towards their council tax

A  £6,000 savings capital limit has been introduced for the scheme. This means that no Council Tax Support will be paid to households with more than £6,000 in savings.

4. Withdrawal of Second Adult Rebate Allowance

Second Adult Rebate has been abolished.  This is where an allowance was provided when one member of a household is working and receiving low income, while the liable person is not entitled to any rebate because their income is too high.

5. Provide additional support for exceptional cases through an Exceptional Hardship Fund

The Exceptional Hardship Fund is to help tax payers who could find themselves in exceptional hardship without further assistance. The fund has limited capacity and is generally available to people who already receive council tax support - but need additional top up.

The principles behind the fund is to help people over a short term crisis when their income does not meet reasonable expenses. Please see the Exceptional Hardship Policy below for more information. If you would like to apply for such an award; please phone the council on 01237 428700 and speak to a benefit advisor who will talk this through with you.

Definition of working and pensioner age group for CTS

The Section 13A Policy (Council Tax Support Scheme) description is as follows:

Working Age Policy applies to a person who:

  • Has not attained the qualifying age for state pension credit; or
  • Has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit if he, and his partner, is a person on income support, on an income based JSA, or on an income-related employment and support allowance. 

The Pension Age Policy applies to a person who:

  • Has attained the qualifying age for state pension credit; and
  • Is not, or if he has a partner, his partner is not a person on income support, on an income based JSA, or on an income-related employment and support allowance.

How do I claim?

If you would like to claim Council Tax Support or would like advice about claiming benefit, phone the council on 01237 428700 or send us an email including a contact phone number and we will discuss what you need to do next.

In order to claim council tax support it will be necessary for you to complete an application form - see related downloads section below.

You will also need to provide the benefits team with ORIGINAL evidence in support of your application. Further details are provided on the application form - see related downloads section below.

Please contact the Benefits team if:

  • You have never claimed benefits before
  • You are working but do not have wage slips (you will need to ask your employer to complete a certificate of earnings form)

If you wish, you may print off and complete one of the forms provided online.

Related downloads

Contact us

If you have any queries, or require help, please contact the Benefits Team.

  • email:
  • phone: 01237 428700
  • post: Benefits Team, Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford EX39 2QG

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email