Tributes have been paid following the news that serving Councillor Mervyn Langmead sadly passed away on 7th March

Councillor Langmeads Cheque Presentation

Councillor Langmead was a popular and well known Businessman and Councillor representing the Bideford East Ward in Torridge. He held many senior and important positions in the Council since first being elected in 2011. These included Chair of the Council, Chair of Standards Committee, Chair of External Scrutiny and Lead Member for Waste and Recycling. Council Langmead also sat on many of the other decision making bodies at the Council including Planning, Licensing, Harbour and Internal Scrutiny committees.

Councillor Langmead was passionate about the area and the environment and as lead member oversaw the successful recent changes in service which have seen recycling rates soar in the district. He also cared about representing his local constituents and fought hard to bring improvements across Torridge but especially in more deprived areas like Bideford East. As well as being a district Councillor, Councillor Langmead also served on Bideford Town Council and was a former Mayor of the town.

Councillor Jane Whittaker - Leader of Torridge District Council said:

"To hear the very unexpected news about Cllr Langmead this morning was a huge shock. During his 8 years as an East-the-Water Member he'd worked tirelessly for his community and was looking forward to continuing that commitment in the next Council. He was a great Cllr colleague, and had become a firm friend, was an active Lead Member for the Waste and Recycling Service and a very valued member of the 'Conservative Team'. All of our thoughts are with Gill and the family at this very difficult time."

Councillor David Hurley - Deputy Leader of Torridge District Council said:

"I was deeply saddened to hear this morning the news of Cllr Langmead's passing. I have known Mervyn for a comparatively short time but knew from the start that he was a man who knew his own mind and wasn't afraid to speak up when others declined to do so. He was a family man and a Councillor who believed passionately in Bideford as a whole, and the residents of his East the Water Ward in particular. My thoughts go out to Gill at this sad time. Mervyn will be missed. I know TDC won't be the same without him."

Councillor Simon Inch - Chair of TDC and Ward Member for Bideford South said:

"I am deeply saddened to hear this news today that Cllr Langmead has passed away. Mervyn was a good Councillor who always spoke his mind on any debate. He will be especially missed on the plans committee, both on District and the Bideford Town Council, where his knowledge of the building trade was a great asset to both councils. He was also a past Chairman of the Council and Mayor of Bideford and he carried out his duties to the highest level. I send my condolences to Gill and the whole family at this time, RIP Mervyn."

Jenny Wallace - Head of Paid Service at Torridge said:

"Mervyn was a well respected and involved Councillor who as a result held many senior positions here at the Council and also on the Town Council. He will be sorely missed by both Officers and fellow Councillors for his enthusiasm and commitment and we send our condolences to his family at this very difficult time. We will remember him fondly."

Councillor Richard Boughton - Ward Member for Hartland and Bradworthy said:

"I too am greatly saddened at the sudden death of Mervyn. As well as knowing him in the Council I also enjoyed singing with him when he was in the Torridge Male voice choir. He was a good man who will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family."

Councillor Margaret Brown - Ward Member for Torrington said:

"This is such a shock and Mervyn will be greatly missed at Torridge. My condolences to his family."

Councillor Alison Boyle - Ward Member for Kenwith said:

"My sincere condolences to the family of Councillor Mervyn Langmead. It was a tremendous shock to read of his passing today. From the little I knew of him he always seemed prepared to work diligently, representing all those requiring a strong voice when beset by troubles. That strong voice will definitely be missed in Torridge District Council."

Councillor Anna Dart - Ward Member for Hartland and Bradworthy said:

"Such sad, sad news. Mervyn will be sorely missed by us all, sincere condolences to his family, In our thoughts."

Councillor John Himan - Ward Member for Northam

"I was deeply shocked and saddened to hear of Mervyn's passing, he will be greatly missed. Mervyn was an active member on the Licensing Committee as Vice Chair and he took part in Sub Committee Hearings always with a balanced view. Our thoughts go to Gill and her family at this very difficult time."

Councillor Cheryl Cottle-Hunkin - Ward Member for Torrington said:

"This was such a shock to hear this sad news. I've only known Mervyn for just over a year since being on the council, and I was very fond of Mervyn. He welcomed me from the start and was particularly welcoming to my new born son Theo when I brought him to meetings and he gave him lots of cuddles. Very sad news, condolences to his family."

Councillor Tony Inch - Ward Member for Bideford South said:

"The sudden death of a true friend is always a shock, and to be told about the passing of Mervyn has saddened me very much today, he was a very good friend to both myself and my wife Michelle. As a Councillor he worked so hard for his town of Bideford and for his ward of East the Water. Bideford Town Council and Torridge have lost a very good hard working Councillor and both Michelle and I have lost a true friend indeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Gill and to all his family and friends. R I P. Mervyn."

Councillor Robin Julian - Ward Member for Clovelly Bay said:

I was very saddened to hear the sudden death of Councillor Mervyn Langmead and my sincere condolences go to his family.  He was a unique character and he will be missed by many.

Councillor Rosemary Lock - Ward Member for Torrington said:

"I was deeply shocked to hear of the sudden death of Mervyn as we were only talking about him at the plans committee meeting this morning. He was an invaluable member of the plans committee and will be sorely missed for his participation at all our meetings and the friendly banter with other committee members. Our thoughts go out to Gill and the wider family at this sad time."

Councillor Dermot McGeough - Ward Member for Bideford North said:

"I am deeply saddened to hear this heart-breaking news. My thoughts are with Gill and his family, Mervin was a family man first and a great councillor second. His commitment to Torridge and his community was exemplary! He has been my mentor since I was first elected and he will always be in my heart. I thank him for everything he did for my family and my son Atlas who he spoilt rotten. Sleep with the angels Merv lots of love Dermot, Sarah and Atlas."

Councillor Philip Pennington - Ward Member for Monkleigh and Littleham Said:

Mervyn and I clashed many times. However, on a Planning pre site visit to the old Geneva building I realised we had so much in common. We both went to the same school. It seems we both learned most when applying practical skills after leaving that beloved institution. Mervyn fought hard for all that he believed in. I was in Bideford this afternoon and four members of the public spoke of their sadness. One from the Rugby Club and one from the Boxing Club. Apparently, for the work he did to improve the Boxing Club he should get 10 bells. If I'd stayed longer I'm sure there would have been more. Our thoughts are with all the family.

Councillor Cathrine Simmons - Ward Member for Torrington said:

"This is very sad news as Mervyn was telling me only recently that he was looking forward to continuing to serve on the Council. I send my condolences to his family and friends."

The flag at Riverbank House will be flying at half-mast in respect with everyone at Torridge District Council offering their condolences to Councillor Langmead's family.

Picture shows Councillor Langmead (left) presenting a cheque to The Childrens Holiday Foundation Charity in 2015 instead of sending Christmas Cards while Chair of Torridge District Council.

07 March 2019