Nuisance Hedges in Towns & Villages

If you wish to complain about, or take action against, a nuisance hedge, whether it be affecting your property or elsewhere, you may be able to apply to the Council under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act.

High hedges

Where a hedge causes a nuisance to a neighbour, and it consists of a line of two or more evergreen, or Semi-evergreen trees or shrubs, the neighbour can make a formal complaint to the Council. There is a currently a charge of £400 for making such a complaint, and if successful, the Council can insist that the hedgerow is reduced in height.

  • Further information, please see download the Over the Garden Hedge and High Hedges - Complaining to the Council information leaflets from the GOV.UK website
  • For full details, refer to the High Hedge Guidance Notes that you can download from this page
  • If you wish to submit a complaint, please download and complete the High Hedge Complaint Form from this page and either email or post it to us
  • Further details can be found on the GOV.UK website pages on resolving neighbourhood disputes.

Overhanging hedges

Where a hedge growing in one property overhangs another property, the neighbouring owner can cut the hedge back to the boundary line under common law. Further details can be found on the GOV.UK website pages on resolving neighbourhood disputes.

The Council does not get involved in disputes concerning overhanging hedgerows between private properties.

Hedges interfering with roads and paths

Where an overhanging hedge interferes with safe use of a public path or highway, it is the landowner's responsibility to cut it back.

Devon County Council can insist that interfering hedges are cut back and they can be contacted at 08451 551004 / csc.roads@devon.gov.uk

Managing a hedge

Ensuring that the right species is chosen for a new hedge and then managing it appropriately helps avoid neighbour disputes. Details on selection of species and the management of hedgerows can be found in pdf icon Choosing the Right Hedge for your Garden [38kb].

Reporting a nuisance hedge

You can report a high hedge by Contact Us.