Trees in Conservation Areas

If you want to check if a tree is within a conservation area please Contact Us. If you wish apply to have works done, it will take 6 weeks for a decision to be issued.

Tree work in Conservation Areas

Within Conservation Areas, if you wish to do works on a tree with a stem diameter in excess of 75mm (roughly the size of a standard tin can) at 1.5 metres from the ground, or you wish to carry out felling to improve the growth of other trees, (for example woodland thinning operations) and the tree you wish to work on about has a diameter in excess of 100mm at 1.5 metres from the ground, you must give the Council six weeks prior notice. Once notice is served the Council can either allow the works to commence after the six week period, or serve a Tree Preservation Order to prevent the works and protect the tree.

Which trees are protected in Conservation Areas?

Please Contact Us to find out.

Applying to work on a tree in a Conservation Area

Details on how to apply and serve notice to work on or fell a tree in a Conservation Area are given in the Government Planning Practice Guidance website. If you wish to make an application to work on, or fell a tree with a Preservation Order, download our TPO Application Form. You can complete the form electronically and submit it via email or you can register or log into The Planning Portal and submit a Conservation Area application form online.

Remember, certain works to trees are "exempt" and can take place either immediately or after five days notice. Details are in the Government Planning Practice Guidance website.