Temporary Event Notices

You will need to apply for a permitted temporary event notice (TEN) if either of the following apply:

  • you wish to lawfully carry out licensable activities at premises which do not have a premises licence or club premises certificate
  • the activity or the times at which it is to be carried out are not specified on an existing premises licence or club premises certificate

You must give at least 10 working days' notice for a standard temporary event notice.  This does not include the day of the event or the day the notice is received by the licensing authority.  The Police and Environmental Health have a period of three working days from when they are given the notice to object to it on the basis of any of the four licensing objectives.

Although ten clear working days is the minimum possible notice that must be given, we would encourage you, where to possible, to apply at least 28 days in advance of your event.

In exceptional circumstances you can apply for a Late Temporary Event Notice. Late TENs are intended to assist premises users who are required for reasons outside their control to, for example, change the venue at short notice. Late TENs can be given up to 5 working days but no earlier than 9 working days before the event. If a late TEN is objected to by either the Police or Environmental Health there is no appeal process and the event will not be permitted to go ahead.

A late TEN given less than 5 working days before the event will be returned as void and the activities to which it relates will not be authorised.

To apply you will need to:

  • read the guidance notes on temporary event notices (on right hand side)
  • pay the appropriate application fee (See fees and charges at http://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/12721/Financial-Services-Publications). This fee is to cover the processing of the application and is non-refundable in the event that the notice is withdrawn, invalid or subject to a counter notice.

You may Apply Online by clicking on Apply Online Here or via the Related Links to the right of this page.

If you don't want to apply online you can download a TEN application form via the related downloads to the right of this page.