How are housing benefit overpayments recovered?

Overpayment of housing benefit can be recovered by using one of several methods:

  • A one-off payment by you or your landlord
  • Weekly deductions from your ongoing benefit
  • A one-off deduction from a lump sum payment of benefit arrears
  • If you are not receiving housing benefit the overpayment may be recovered from other benefits.
  • An arrangement may be made to repay the debt.

The method of repayment will depend on your individual circumstances.

Recovery of an overpayment will not prejudice any criminal proceedings that may be taken by the Council  in respect of fraudulent overpayments.