Special discount when someone in your home is mentally disabled

This is a reduction in your Council Tax bill because someone aged 18 or over who lives with you is mentally disabled and not counted for Council Tax purposes. The Council Tax rules say they must be 'severely mentally impaired', - this includes people who have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimer's disease, other forms of dementia and strokes.

Their condition must be confirmed by a doctor. We will ask for permission to write to the doctor for confirmation.

The mentally disabled person must also qualify for one of these benefits even if they don't receive it, for example because they are pension age:

  • Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Attendance Allowance (AA)

  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)

  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate

  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance

  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit

  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)

  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work

A mentally disabled person in your household does not always lead to a reduction in Council Tax: there can be no reduction if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes. Apply if you are not sure so that we can check.

If only one person lives at the property and they are mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

If a number of people live at the property and they are all mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt

pdf icon Council Tax Discount Application for the Severely Mentally Impaired [182kb]


Print off the application form fill it in and return it to us:

  • Email - scan it and send it to us at council.tax@torridge.gov.uk

  • Post it to the Council Tax Team Riverbank House Bideford, Devon, EX39 2QG

Can't print the form? Ring us on 01237 428900  and we'll send you one.

After you've applied for discount


After you've applied for the discount

You must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us.

We periodically check accounts that have been granted discounts and exemptions.  If we contact you to review your discount and we don't hear back from you, we will cancel it.

You must tell us if there is a change in your circumstances that may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.