People who aren't counted for Council Tax

Some people aren't counted for Council Tax.


If you live with someone who isn't counted, it may mean that you can get a Single Person Discount on your bill.


These people aren't counted for Council Tax:

  • Non-British partners or other dependants of foreign students who are not allowed to work or claim benefits.
  • Those under 20 who are still at school or have just left school.
  • Someone for whom Child Benefit is still being paid.
  • Foreign Language Assistants.
  • Long-stay hospital patients are not counted for Council Tax where they normally live.
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants.
  • Members of visiting forces and their dependants.
  • People with diplomatic immunity and privileges.

Apply online for single Occupier Discount